The Local Government Technical Advisers Group
The Local Government Technical Advisers Group (LGTAG) is a professional association supporting technical services officers in Regional, County, Unitary (including London and Metropolitan Boroughs) and District Councils, Technical Officers either working for the public sector directly or for people in the private sector providing such services to Local Authorities.
Its purposes are to:
- ensure that best practice is shared;
- give impartial and apolitical advice to National and Local Politicians on what works;
- allow a ready sharing of technical advice.
Representing technical officers in Authorities around the Country, three key reasons to be part of the LGTAG organisation are that:
- It can take a strategic view of services not bound by detailed local issues or politics.
- It can give a voice to our professionals across all technical disciplines that may otherwise not be given or heard.
- It can also support the work of individual authorities by allowing sharing of information avoiding the need to ‘re-invent the wheel’ in all 400 plus councils.
While it is a National Organisation we are organised in regions and have specialist groups and committees covering the main technical service disciplines:
- Highways construction and maintenance
- Transport Planning
- Traffic, street scene and parking
- Asset Management
- Coastal and Fluvial erosion and flooding
- Buildings and structures
LGTAG Membership enables employees in member organisations to play an active part in our work and representations. This not only strengthens the work we do, but also facilitates wider understanding of national and international issues within our membership. This also allows LGTAG to better represent the communities we serve.
Please also see About us for more information and some useful general attachments.
WHAT WE DO?
LGTAG serves all levels of local government to cover the whole range of local authority technical services.
LGTAG membership enables employees in member organisations to play an active part in LGTAG.
This not only strengthens the work we do, but also facilitates wider understanding of national and international issues across our membership helping us to better represent the communities we serve.
Technical professionals serving local government:
- The Local Government Association and the Northern Ireland Local Government Association, at both officer and member level and London Councils
- Professional working groups
- Central Government through responding to consultations
- Members of Parliament through Select Committees
- Government working groups on specific issues
Members Showcase List
LGTAG is not only about supporting and representing the aims and aspirations of local government, but is about promoting organisational and personal development, this is particularly important to younger staff. It also enables organisations to ‘grow their own’ and to help satisfy the requirements and benefits of continuing professional development.
From Meetings & Topic Group Papers
Read LGTAG’s latest resources on sector challenges.
From the News
Keep up to date with LGTAG’s latest news , events, happenings.
Our Satisfied Members
Please take a moment and read what some members have to say about their experience working and partner with us
LGTAG is an excellent organisation which helps to keep you up to date with politics, changing legislation and allows you to discuss common problems with engineering colleagues.
LGTAG brought together so many Technical Officers of real calibre, and continues to spread good practice and excellence!
Joining LGTAG was an efficiency measure and highly valued in both the financial
and technical fields.
From the Blog
Explore our blog for impactful resources, insightful articles, personal reflections and ideas that inspire action on the topics you care about.