The London Technical Advisers Group (LoTAG) maintains a technical network for local government professionals and co-opted members in the highway and transport fields. It provides a centre for professional advice and assistance for local policy development and service delivery on a London wide basis.
All the London local authorities and Transport for London are automatically eligible to be members of LoTAG and are represented through the working groups, which meet on a regular basis, usually every 10 to 12 weeks. This enables officers from all these authorities to participate in all LoTAG activities. Whilst there are no membership forms to complete or subscriptions to pay for London meetings LoTAG is part of a national organisation the Technical Advisors Group (TAG) from which policy influence and universal standards evolve. Naturally there is a TAG membership fee if you wish to extend your horizons beyond London. However you feel, just turn up and take part.
LoTAG is the regional grouping of TAG comprising a group of professional officers who advise the London Borough elected members on their statutory duties as the Highway and Traffic Authority.
LoTAG is a region of TAG the national Technical Advisers Group and authorities are encouraged to be members of TAG. There is one subscription up to a maximum of £660 for an authority and as many officers who wish to can become individual members of TAG.
The London Boroughs are responsible for:
- 67% of all London’s main roads
- 95% of all London roads
- 90% of all parking and bus lane enforcement (PCN’s)
- 97% of the London cycle network
- 99.9% of all pedestrian routes in London
- 95% of all bus routes
- 99% of London’s strategic and local centres
- 100% of past Utility Street works investigation and enforcement
- 100% of all local authority public off street car parks
At a technical level LoTAG members have delivered through partnerships a range of initiatives including:
- London Bus Priority Network
- London Cycle Network
- London Bridge Programme
- Road 2000 – Highway maintenance
- Bus, Rail Interchange Improvements
- London wide asphalt specification
LoTAG is structured as follows: